Argentina GIP

Glitter falls off my bright welcome sign
as I unpack my suitcase and unpack my memories
of the eye-opening experience
I have just taken part in

I remember the cool morning frost
packing on our windshield in contrast with
the warm girls packed into the back seats of a car
belting out spanish and english tunes alike

The cold treks to the classrooms as the sun rose,
giggling and greeting each and every classmate with
a quick kissy sound and a smile

These were the beginnings of days and days where I explored Argentine culture, and felt a part of it. La Perla, La Manzana Jesuitico, y todos lugares que visitimos tienen mucho valor y nos ensenaron mucho, pero no son en el mismo nivel de las experiencias en la casa de mi familia argentina.

When I look back onto these days in Cordoba, I feel the power of the voices at dinner table debates on el aborto, I feel the joy of cramming around a long table hunched over eating asado made by mi padre anfitrion. I feel the love and compassion of the beautiful community I have only seen a glimpse of, and I miss dearly the friends I have come to make.


Comments

  1. Beautiful poem , Alexa. This may be something to share for the evening of sharing that we have in the fall and with the Writer's Center. If would be great to see some visuals to accompany this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts