Crazy Rich Asians

As I sat down to watch the much-anticipated film, Kevin Kwan paperback in hand, I was excited to see my culture, or rather, one of them, presented on the silver screen. The romantic comedy, filled with snarky remarks, quirky characters, and beautiful cinematography, likewise filled me with pride for Hokkien culture.

Yet what disturbed me, along with members of my family and many people in the theater, was the presented cultural emphasis on wealth and ethnicity throughout the film.

Where I have felt similarities with the cutlure of the film had been in language and weather similiarites. "Gai Gee Lung" and its ideals and purposes throughout Southeast Asian cultures has been a major point of interest to me, and I look forward to exploring this theme more in the future.

What was, what I thought, a celebration of the uniqueness of my particular experience of SE Asia ended up showing me an initial idea of the "ABC" conflict in modern Asian and American society.

Comments

  1. Really appreciate your candor re the portrayal of SE Asian cultures.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts