Approaching Global Issues as a Multiracial/Multiethnic Person

The advent of my interests in and understanding of global issues and ideas is greatly framed by my experiences and perspective as a multiracial and multiethnic person. One example is the following:
I wanted to walk with others: to explore Latino influences in LA and to understand Latino political issues. I wanted to connect with a part of my culture. The third meeting of Latinos Unidos, I was informed, was a “closed meeting.” They literally shut the door in my face. “You don’t look Latina.” “Your last name is the whitest thing I’ve ever heard.” Freshman year I signed up for Latinos Unidos: United Latinos, unless you were only part Latino.
I have experienced multitude of situations like the one above. I have come to the realization that my ethnic ambiguity has impact on my inclusion or exclusion in not only infinity groups but also in perspectives in discussions. To what degree do I face the challenges of my different respective communities? It’s awareness of this issue and its consequences that are important to consider through my delving into global issues, and I hope to further my understanding in that area.

Comments

Popular Posts