Vanessa Hua

I recently hosted a GIP event with a fellow Global Scholar with esteemed author Vanessa Hua.

Using her own story as an American-born daughter of Chinese immigrants, she has written prolifically about Asia and the diaspora, including her novel, “A River of Stars,” which she will be discussing tonight. Featuring a pregnant Chinese woman who escapes a maternity tourism center in Southern California and makes her way to San Francisco to stake a claim to the American Dream, “A River of Stars” has been praised as “a marvel” by Oprah Magazine and “delightful” by the Economist. After reading the novel myself, I know it is that and more.

I was happy both having read the novel and attending the event with my immigrant grandmother, who, in more conversations, told me about her experiences moving to different countries and the struggle of that complex experience as well as that of starting a family and the role motherhood plays in one's life throughout that unique process. The event and its preparation proved to be a very personal experience for me in learning about my own family's history and the panorama of immigration and family experiences.

Comments

Popular Posts